Sunday, December 3, 2017

Advent in a Sunrise


I got to spend the last 24 hours at a family friend's PARADISE of a mountain house for some solitude. I was craving a time and a space to clear my mind and to just listen. I was told I wouldn't regret it if I woke up to watch the sunrise. So I set my alarm last night and journaled this morning post-sunrise:

I never want to forget this morning. Seeing a glimpse of red light from behind the curtain, gasping, and jumping out of bed...hurrying to not miss the sunrise. Eagerly coming upstairs, setting the water to boil my tea, all while simultaneously locking eyes at the view just off the deck. "I don't want to miss it." I got a spot on the deck set with blankets. Waiting. Watching. Expecting. Excited. I didn't want to peel my eyes off of those mountains. I put on "It is Well With My Soul" (I know. I know. This sounds cheesy and #basic but I don't want to forget the details).

I eagerly awaited to see more than just the tempting red and orange hues. I was waiting for the sun. A bright, eye piercing (not exaggerating) RED tiny sliver popped up behind the mountains. I sat up higher in the chair, so incredible that I second guessed if that was the sun. As it started to rise, I wrapped my hands around my mug and watched intently as the words, "It is well. It is well with my soul" pierced my heart. Yes, I nodded. Indeed it is well with my soul.

Then like a scene out of a MOVIE a white streak from a plane was heading upward. At the same time, 4 or 5 birds looked as if they were flying out of the sun and towards the left.

Awe. Absolute awe. Jaw dropping awe. Birds were chirping. Psalm 130 came to my mind:

"...My soul waits for the Lord
more than watchmen for the morning,
more than watchmen for the morning.."

I thought to myself, "I bet the birds do this every single morning. A celebration, a tell-all-your-friends excitement, the sun is coming, look! Morning and a new day is here!" The beauty of it is neither we or the birds ever have to wonder or second guess if the sun will rise. Every single morning it will.

As I sat down to write today I went to put the date at the top and wondered, what is the date? Then it hit me and I remembered - Dec. 3 - the first Sunday of Advent. A coincidence? That I was eagerly awake and expecting the sun's arrival. And with holy fear and wonder, I sat in awe of it's arrival. Coincidence, no. Divine, yes.

Oh how I long for this to be my posture this season. As sure as the sun will rise, You will come. I was up every few hours last night (probably bc I was scared alone in a mountain house lol). I was just waiting for it to be morning. And just like last night, I want my every waking day to be an eager expectation, an awaiting of your Glory. I will sit up. I will look up and out. I will keep my eyes peeled on You. I will celebrate and sing.
What if each morning and day this season, like the birds, we too eagerly awaited the Son's arrival with holy fear and wonder?

[Luke 1:46-55 Jb Phillips]
Then Mary said, “My heart is overflowing with praise of my Lord, my soul is full of joy in God my Saviour. For he has deigned to notice me, his humble servant and, after this, all the people who ever shall be will call me the happiest of women! The one who can do all things has done great things for me—oh, holy is his Name! Truly, his mercy rests on those who fear him in every generation. He has shown the strength of his arm, he has swept away the high and mighty. He has set kings down from their thrones and lifted up the humble. He has satisfied the hungry with good things and sent the rich away with empty hands. Yes, he has helped Israel, his child: he has remembered the mercy that he promised to our forefathers, to Abraham and his sons forevermore!”

No comments:

Post a Comment